Is your child ready for Kindergarten?
Starting kindergarten is one of the biggest milestones in a child's life. Here are some tips to help you decide whether your child will be socially, academically and physically prepared to start "big-kids" school.
Kindergarten is a year of highly visible progress in reading and language arts. The major milestones in kindergarten reading and language arts are:
- Developing an awareness of letters
- Recognizing that letters have specific sounds
- Awareness of the relationship of “letters to words” and “words to sentences”
- Developing a basic vocabulary set by listening to and identifying unknown words in stories
- Recognizing basic sight words in text
Kindergarten is also a year of exploration and discovery of numbers. Major milestones for kindergarten math include:
- Developing a strong number sense
- Identifying numbers up to twenty
- Expressing different ways to represent numbers up to twenty
- Ability to sort and organize objects based on different attributes
- Recognizing basic shapes and units for measurement, time and weight